Monday, July 3, 2017

Bad Pants

It's so rare that I actually finish something that I feel like celebrating for days. But there's more work to do, and I did make a little progress on a couple of other things last night and today.

First, I have a problem with painting believable folds on clothing. It's always hard for me to get them right, but I really struggled with the khaki pants on the woman in the pink and grey jacket— hard enough to mix that elusive color (Yellow Ochre with white and one of the blacks, or maybe that was Payne's Gray, and I'm still not happy with it) but getting those many tiny folds right is a challenge. I'll have to do the pants over again. At least the jacket looks alright.

Stockton Street, © 2017, work in progress (click on image for larger view)

Yesterday I added another layer to this one, and warmed it up a bit with some Indian Yellow along with the Yellow Ochre and Raw Sienna; I like the sort of south-of-the-border look but those dang fingerprints are still visible. I'll have to paint them in with a more opaque version of color before I do another transparent layer. Can't wait to peel off the mask and start working on the figures.

The Chair, © 2017, work in progress

And I painted the windows on this one; curiously, the window on the right is smaller than the one on the left, and the panes themselves are more horizontally than vertically rectangular. I guess that's the way it was sometimes with old buildings.

Evening Star CafĂ©, © 2017, work in progress




No comments:

Post a Comment