Saturday, November 11, 2017

A Saturday Adventure

Ruth Lozner, the author of Scratchboard For Illustration, gave a demo this afternoon at the Plaza Art Materials store in Bethesda, and as she was one of my heroes back in the day when I was actually doing illustration, off I went.

Aside from the insanity I always encounter driving in that part of Bethesda, the experience was very good. The presentation was terrific, and I learned some new stuff about using color and the computer in scratchboard work. And: I got to pick up some more art supplies, AND Ruth signed my copy of her book, which I've had since about 1991.

This morning I started a small piece using those water-based oils again; it's an image I've had floating around for 6 years now, and the canvas is a mere 6"h x 12"w, so I can't get too involved with it.

  Sometimes She Just Needed To Get Away, © 2017, work in progress (click on image for larger view)

We'll see what happens with these crazy paints. Meanwhile— I need to find my old scratchboard tools...


No comments:

Post a Comment