Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Somerville Roses and Tiny Dabs


 Years ago I was wandering the streets of Somerville, Massachusetts when I passed a lovely street corner display. I've always wanted to paint it, but it had to wait until I got other things out of the way. It's a rambling rose bush, spilling over an antique picket fence. Over the next couple of weeks it'll start to take shape.

  Somerville Roses, © 2018, work in progress (click on image for larger view)

Modeling the face on the image below requires tiny, tiny strokes, because this is only a 6" square painting. The colors and tones slide into each other very gradually. I never realized the young woman is wearing earrings! At least, not until I blew up the reference and saw the two white spheres near her neck.

  Study After A Maid Asleep, (Johannes Vermeer), © 2018, work in progress (click on image for larger view)
 
Last but not least, some work on Jeff's shirt. I think the shadow areas aren't dark enough yet.
 
 
Eddie and Jeff, America series, © 2018, work in progress (click on image for larger view)
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment