Monday, February 5, 2018

I'm Going To Have To Break Out The T-Square

One thing I really like about my Winsor & Newton brushes is the fact that if I mix the paint to just the right consistency, I can get the brush tips (which are otherwise pointed) to go completely flat. This is a great aid when painting straight-lined architectural elements. But there are a lot of verticals in this painting, and they have to be REALLY straight or it will look like the buildings are going to fall over. So pretty soon I'll have to line everything up with a t-square.

When I Woke Up I Was In Brooklyn, © 2018, work in progress (click on image for larger view)  

I'm trying to kill as much of the white space as possible. So far, so good.

The actual rose bowl in this next one is okay for the most part, but I feel like the right side of the bowl is so complex it doesn't make sense to the eye. I'm going to have to simplify some of the facets and also bump up the contrast. For some reason, the whites are not as bright as I want them to be.

  Rose Bowl, © 2018, work in progress (click on image for larger view)

No comments:

Post a Comment