Friday, March 30, 2018

The Bull

Keep Out, © 2018, work in progress (click on image for larger view)
 
This is a large painting (36" x 48") that I started years ago, I think somewhere around 2003; we had gone out to a wine festival in the country and were stalled in traffic when I snapped the photo of the pond. I wanted to paint it, and to get a sense of the heat of a summer afternoon in Virginia, but needed some focal point for the image. 
 
I looked around at a lot of pictures of steers and put this one together from various components. The idea of the longhorn came about because I wanted to utilize that horizontal space. I've never been happy with the painting on he body of the animal, though, and am trying to make some improvements. It needs some lighter tones high on the back, and then I've got to repaint the fence wire.

No comments:

Post a Comment