Wednesday, March 28, 2018

Yet Again, Painting Though The Gloom

I can't remember a Spring as dreary and sad as this one. Luckily I have lamps with natural light that permit me to see the colors on the palette fairly accurately.

Heard from a painter friend, and we are planning an excursion to a local gallery show, so that'll be fun. Also, the cherry blossoms should be in bloom soon. The sun can't hide forever.

This afternoon's work:

The Gauntlet, © 2018, work in progress (click on image for larger view)
 
Recently I was excited to pick up a tube of Alizarin Permanent. Back in my undergrad days, I was under the influence of a couple of my instructors, who were abstract expressionists, as well as a friend who did really amazing non-objective works. My Senior year thesis paintings were almost entirely abstract, and one large one called "Jupiter" featured a huge circle on a rounded corner rectangular shape. It had layer upon layer upon layer of Alizarin Crimson. That color was like crushed rubies, but the one I used this morning on The Gauntlet is more of a purpley red. You can see how it goes violet when mixed with white up near the top of the window. It's disappointing.
 

  Selfies, © 2018, work in progress (click on image for larger view)  

Since this was on the easel when I came downstairs and its palette was still viable, I spent some time on it also adding detail in the space on and above the table.

No comments:

Post a Comment