Tuesday, July 24, 2018

Getting It Done

More painting last night, after a break to have dinner and watch "Lars And The Real Girl."

The green tiles present a problem for me; I'm concerned about the color being too vibrant, too upbeat, when it should be more of a subdued green. In addition, there are a lot of reflections on the tiles, and the light changes, too. And is the left side too dark? 

Waiting At Le Diplomate, © 2018, work in progress (click on image for larger view)
 
I continue to work the flat surface of the low tide beach water on this one, going back and forth between the blue-green and the white foam.
 
Finding A Shell, © 2018, work in progress (click on image for larger view)
 
Next, I did more drawing and started to scrub in some color on the new piece. It's a lot of fun, so I expect I'll be spending time on it again this afternoon. The objective is to make it photorealist, and that presents some problems for me, too. On the last two of these commissioned pieces, I learned an important lesson about photorealism: you have to make those initial layers very thin and smooth from the start. The other thing is, I don't like the idea of doing photorealism. The paintings look so anonymous to me— there's no personality. Although the subject matter may be a giveaway, they often look like they've been done by a single person. I do admire the technique, though.

Wigs And Shades, © 2018, work in progress (click on image for larger view)

 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment