Thursday, October 4, 2018

If It's October...

Every year I pick up again on this painting in the fall, in an effort to get it finished in time to show it for the holiday season. And every year something comes up that makes it impossible to do so.

This year, I'm starting off by trying to fix a problem that's been nagging me, albeit subconsciously: simplifying and darkening the ceiling area. I'm also trying to warm things up with deeper reds and red-oranges, and warmer neutrals in general.

A Quiet Evening In Cambridge, © 2018, work in progress (click on image for larger view)
I think I'll take out that distracting bright spot at upper left. That'll throw the focus on the center of the picture plane and make the whole interior seem more cozy. I'm trying out different colors on the right hand side wall, too, as you can see. Here's the previous version, with a lighter ceiling:

A Quiet Evening In Cambridge, © 2017, work in progress (click on image for larger view)






No comments:

Post a Comment