Thursday, March 29, 2018

You Know How It Is When You Look At Something Too Long?

I think Jeff's shorts were better before I started to repaint them this morning. I thought the contrast between the light and the shadow areas needed to be more obvious; this is the result of a lot of hand-wringing as the result of viewing the work of Max Ginsburg, who certainly knows his way around form and value. I just can't seem to get my dark values right, and it's enormously frustrating. The Chair is a good example of this: the flesh colors might be correct, but the values in the shadow areas are really too light.

Eddie and Jeff, America Series, © 2018, work in progress (click on image for larger view)

Anyway. I think I need to take a step back from this for a few hours; the fold lines on the shorts look too artificially placed to me now but maybe later I'll think they're okay. At least the likenesses are working a bit better.

No comments:

Post a Comment