Friday, August 5, 2016

Biting the Bullet

I'm not ashamed of my mistakes. In fact, I don't think a painting's done until I finish correcting all of my mistakes. It's an experimental process, painting.

So I've been wrestling with the fact that Rita's had a huge error in it: the fact that the green banner portion of the sign contains the name "Rita's" was just too low on the circular part of the logo behind it. I tried to bring the green banner up a couple of millimeters, but it still looked bad. So I knew what I had to do. Repaint.

Well, there was an ensuing mess for a couple of days while I let some of the fix-it paint dry, and then today I sanded off some areas that were getting too thick, and tackled it again. There's lots more to do. For one thing, the yellow in the sign is a dirty yellow, so that brings me back to the same problem I've been having with the daffodils painting. The red stripes on the awning are a deeper red, as is the green. The circular shape that abuts the night sky has to be redrawn. Etc. But here's today's work:

Rita's, © 2016, work in progress (click on image for larger view)

No comments:

Post a Comment