Friday, November 10, 2017

Experimenting With Water-Based Oils

So, I decided to try out the new paints on one of the images of Rita, whom I met yesterday at the coffee shop.

Right away, the paint beaded up on the canvas when I tried to wash in the background, so that was disconcerting.

(I'm still wearing a wrist bandage, but the sprain is getting better)

Here's the initial block-in, which went pretty well, though I wouldn't say the tones are accurate.

Rita From The Coffee Shop, © 2017, work in progress (click on image for larger view)

Mixing the paint was a little weird, partly because I was using a fine bristled, round-pointed watercolor brush. I can see the value in using a flat or filbert bristle. But it stroked on well. Let's see what the drying time is like.

I'm using a limited color palette, as I mentioned when I bought the water-based paints, and it makes me feel far more confident about the unity of the color than I've ever felt before. So all in all, this has been a good experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment