Tuesday, September 18, 2018

Running Out Of Supplies

The bottle of Gamsol is getting really low— Gamsol is the mineral spirit used for thinning out paint and cleaning brushes. I'm also running out of retouch varnish, which I'm going to need once the paintings are dry. Meanwhile, everything is wet, so wet in so many places that I can't work on areas that need another layer until the paint dries.

Maybe I should get a drying medium; I bought some once, years ago, but never used it and now it's all gummed up in the bottle, and brown, besides. This is why I hate to use anything other than plain, pure mineral spirits, a reliable glaze medium, and a dependable painting medium: I want the work to be up to a high archival standard. I don't want the painting to darken or change color.

More work today: touching up a few places here and there. Added some horizontal lines on the back wall, standardized the tables, taped off the extreme right side and painted the vertical frame there in preparation for doing the more detailed work in a couple of days.

Selfies, © 2018, work in progress (click on image for larger view)
The mysterious construction areas (they are the orangey spots in the center of the painting) are pretty much all that's left on the one below, and those will be fun to work on because unlike the rest of the piece, they are indistinct and don't involve too many straight lines.
Chrysler Building, Dusk, © 2018, work in progress (click on image for larger view)

No comments:

Post a Comment