Saturday, May 23, 2020

Eventually I Will Get The Face Right

How many times have I repainted the woman's face? 12? 15? Yesterday I tried something new; I brought the reference photo into Photoshop's Images>Adjustments>Posterize feature and set it to something like 17 levels. That broke the face into distinct planes, and I was able to have a good look at the color of each one. They ranged from cream to pink to greyish rose, so I mixed the paint and stroked it on in distinct color bands. Later on I tried blending the bands, but it didn't look right, so I started over and will wait for it all to dry before attempting to smooth out the edges.

Tuesday, © 2020, work in progress (click on image for larger view)
 
The woman's expression is hard to capture without making her look too unhappy. Her mouth does tend down a bit at the corners, but the way the light models her face it looks too harsh. I will try again.

No comments:

Post a Comment