Thursday, October 25, 2018

The Big Repaint

With the mad rush to finish the paintings for the show now over, I can paint whatever I want. Of course, there's the omnipresent awareness that I need to work on things to put in the galleries, but I can also indulge myself a bit (hence the cat mug shots).

Years ago I completed a set of 30 sky studies, all of them 11"h x 16"w, and nicely framed in black-with-silver floating frames. A few of them have sold over the years, but I'd really like to propose a show somewhere and get them out of my basement. However, there are several that I'm not happy with, and I'd like to repaint them, then write up a proposal or two at out-of-town venues.

This is #21, Array, in its original state:

I don't like the turquoise sky, and the clouds aren't well formed. Like Joni Mitchell, I've studied clouds for a long time, seen them from above and below, and still don't understand their form. But I'm going to try to do a better job on them and make the color more realistic, too.

Here's the partial repaint of the sky color:

And here's where it is now:

I'll work on the clouds next, after the paint dries. And then pick up on some of the others.



No comments:

Post a Comment