When I went to bed last night, it was with the expectation that I was going to get a lot done this week. But I just couldn't focus today. And I've been trying to take a different approach in the painting below; instead of my usual careful, deliberate strokes, I wanted to be looser and freer with the brushwork. But the flowers are a challenge! You can't just throw paint at a surface and expect it to look like something; there has to be structure or all you see is chaos.
Somerville Roses, © 2021, work in progress (click on image for larger view)
Also, I think the roses are 1) too big and 2) the wrong shade of reddish-pink.
I tried using a flat brush instead of a round. It created some interesting nooks and crannies when I held it on an angle, but I still have a lot to learn.
Meanwhile, I worked AGAIN on the wood grain below, trying to make it look more realistic and less perfunctory.