Tuesday, February 23, 2021

A New Piece

 For the better part of the last year I've been struggling with some slides I took many years ago of some very tall trees at a park in Annandale. It was fall at the time, and the leaves were a bright yellow. When my artist friend Sharon gave me two unusually long and narrow panels, I thought for sure I'd use one of them for the tree idea. (The other one became the "Chrysler Building, Dusk" painting, which has since sold.)

So, like I said, it's been a struggle because I just couldn't make the composition work. Then last night I was going trough a bunch of old photos and found one of a small waterfall. A waterfall! Surely that would work in that vertical space! But it didn't work when I cropped it down to size, so I started looking elsewhere. Then I found one of a pond in one of my favorite places, and it will fit beautifully. In a later post I'll mention the story about an artist whose work I will keep in mind as I paint this.

Above: the reference photo. Below, my start:

As yet unnamed.



No comments:

Post a Comment