Saturday, April 9, 2016

How Can Such a Tiny Painting Take So Long?

I had to be honest with myself: the face wasn't working, despite the numerous times I've worked on it. So I sanded it down to get rid of the texture that had built up, strapped on the magnifying glasses, and got to work. (You can see some of the sanding marks in the hair and sky.) Used Winsor Orange, Cad Red Deep, Ultramarine Blue and the usual Titanium White. Paid a great deal of attention to the drawing in terms of where the cheek meets the nose, the angle of the upper lip, etc. Now I have to let it dry before going back to refine the planes around the nose.

I know there are artists who could knock this out with a few well-placed strokes and a more imaginative use of color, and I wish I were one of them.
Waiting For The Birds To Return, © 2016, work in progress



No comments:

Post a Comment