Monday, February 25, 2019

Roma, and Another Hour On The Wigs

The Academy Awards were on TV last night, and this past year is one of the rare ones in which we've actually seen more than one of the nominations. In the last few hours before the show, we downloaded "Roma," which has been getting a lot of good press. Good Lord.

From the start, it was impressive; it's the kind of movie made by people who truly love to craft movies. The sweeping backgrounds behind the principle players caught my attention, and two scenes in particular blew me away. One follows Cleo as she moves hurriedly from right to left on a crowded street, looking for her young charges, and another in which the family's children, having just been told of their parents' breakup, lick their ice cream cones dejectedly under a threatening giant fake crustacean while a newly married couple is photographed in the distance.

I can't stop thinking about the artistry involved, and am drawing some inspiration from those scenes. Is there a way I can do something similar in a 2-dimensional environment? I already have done a few related things; "Chef," "Whole Foods," for example; and I can resuscitate the series in which people stand on street corners waiting for the light to change.

Meanwhile: I put in another hour +on this one this morning. I need to finish it so I can get more involved with my own ideas.

Wigs And Shades, © 2019, work in progress (click on image for larger view)

No comments:

Post a Comment