Tuesday, November 19, 2019

A Little Night Work

I did get back to this! Painted some more wood grain detail on the left side of the sundae.

I worry now about some choices I made last year: One was to work on some commissions. I needed the money, but the paintings took a lot of time away from my own stuff. The other decision was to create a cohesive series (i.e., the desserts) to satisfy The Art World. We artists are always counseled to have a "body of work" that all looks the same in terms of content and style so it will be recognizable on the market.

The dessert series, while fun to work on, is again keeping me from other, more exciting work. I fall in love on a regular basis with moments in time, and when I fall in love I want to put that idea down on panel or canvas as soon as possible. Lately I just feel dragged out and unenthusiastic about working on the same things over and over.

Hot Fudge Sundae II, © 2019, work in progress (click on image for larger view)



No comments:

Post a Comment