Monday, April 27, 2020

The Wind Blows Through And Changes Everything

 Some of my artist friends are making major changes to their styles. Lots of us are taking advantage of "The Pause" to ruminate on what direction to take going forward. And I just finished watching "Making The Cut," because I am a sucker for shows about designers creating wearable art (fashion design).

One of the two finalists was an extremely talented person, but she only designs in black material. The other finalist put on a show of inventive, interesting pieces with a limited but effective color palette that made the other designer's collection look (forgive me) like a snooze fest. Though the judges were supportive of the woman's decision to stay true to her "universe" of black, I felt like she was limiting herself and her creativity by refusing to work with color.

The painting below was intended from the start to be an abstraction. You can see how well that went. So; while it is very pleasant to look at,shouldn't I be trying to push myself into less comfortable territory?

Sky Over The Sudbury River, © 2020, work in progress (click on image for larger view)

 Worked on sky and clouds today; clouds somewhat better but still lacking form. But maybe form is what I need to give up?



No comments:

Post a Comment