Monday, August 17, 2020

Carried Away With Blue

The intention was to correct the color of the sky, which (though it pretty nearly matched the reference photo) seemed too assertive. So I greyed it down a little, and then fretted for a while that I might have made it too subdued.

At the same time, I've been admiring the work of some landscape painters recently, and studying how they paint foreground weeds and grasses. The ones in my painting looked too light in tone to me, so I set about making them darker...but that eliminated a lot of the carefully drawn detail, so I'll have to go back and redo it. But it does give the piece a more unified look!

And I dabbed some of the sky color on the foliage. Not sure that's working, either.

  Bluemont Vineyard With Sunflowers, Virginia Vineyard Series, © 2020, work in progress (click on image for larger view)

No comments:

Post a Comment