Monday, August 3, 2020

The Frustration Of Working Wet-In-Wet

I don't know how the plein air painters do it. Every time I've tried to do an alla prima or work wet-in-wet, it's a catastrophe. In the case of the painting below, I worked very hard at getting a believable transition from the left side of the sky, where darkness approaches, to the right side, where the sun is setting. I took out as many of the finely visible brushstrokes as possible, and then set about putting in the clouds. Disaster!

Rising Stars, Setting Sun, © 2020, work in progress (click on image for larger view)

The wet sky color, which is mainly Thalo Blue and Indigo, smooshes into the white and yellow of the cloud highlights, and that Thalo is a pretty intense color anyway. So I can't get the form or the precision that I want, because the edges are all discolored. I've put it aside to dry, and will go back to it later, but it sure feels like a disappointment right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment