Thursday, May 31, 2018

Color Change, and: Cats Project

I've continued to be flummoxed by the color of the tunic, which appears in the reference photo as a nice shade of blue in the shadow areas and brilliant white in the sunlit ones. But when I paint it, the color's too intense, even when I think I've lightened it up. Today I tried a new tactic, and added some muddier green-greys since the colors in the water would be reflecting on the tunic. I might try a glaze with some red in it once it dries. In any case, I think it's less jarring.

Finding A Shell, © 2018, work in progress (click on image for larger view)
Meanwhile: a year or two ago I decided I needed to make some money, and started a series of cat paintings to be printed up as posters. It never went anywhere, but the sight of the little unfinished cats in the studio makes me feel guilty. Picked up on this one today:
Brown Tabby, © 2018, work in progress (click on image for larger view)

No comments:

Post a Comment