Wednesday, March 25, 2020

Trying To Look More Closely

Of course it would be great to be able to paint from live models, but I haven't had much luck with that over the years for various reasons. Anyway, it's the charm of images like this one, caught on the fly, so to speak, that really appeal to me. The color in the reference photo can be elusive; for example, the forehead of the third girl from left, in the original reference, has a violet cast that I can't seem to reproduce correctly with paint.

I spent a  lot of time on her, since she's key to the image as a whole, and tried to be faithful to what I saw in the photo rather than interpreting it according to my own biases about what should be there. Maybe some progress?

The Chair, © 2020, work in progress (click on image for larger view)

No comments:

Post a Comment