Tuesday, December 29, 2020

Some Fluff And Some Substance

 I started the day off with some easy, fun stuff, worked through a more expressionist piece, and then got down to more complicated foliage and landscape. I discovered that a mix of Permanent Green Light and Yellow Ochre creates a nice middle green.

Here's the last one of the day:

Veramar Vineyard, Virginia Vineyard Series, © 2020, work in progress (click on image for larger view)    

Just before that, I picked up a little landscape that I'd started a couple of years ago. I've changed the composition considerably since then, and feel like it's better.

                    Untitled Landscape, © 2020, work in progress (click on image for larger view)     

Had some fun with the poplar and the background sky:

                     A Poplar, © 2020, work in progress (click on image for larger view)  

Now, the cats; one is finished, hooray, and the other? Well, this is why you're supposed to stand back every once in a while when painting. What looks pretty good close up might look like a disaster from a distance. In this case, it was the right side eye on Orson. I had found another photo of him, and since I thought the original drawing of his face was all wrong, I decided to work from the new image. It was clear that the eyes were too far apart, so I redrew them. It looked great until I stood back. I have since rubbed out the right eye and will repaint after it dries.

 
Orson, Wall O' Cats Series, © 2020 (click on image for larger view)
 
Bruce, Wall O' Cats Series, © 2020 (click on image for larger view) 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment