Tuesday, December 12, 2017

How Can Such A Small Painting Take So Long To Do?

I am not enjoying the water-based oils. No matter how much water I mix with the paints, they always seem thick. You get the feeling that because of the high water content and the way they flow that they'll dry quickly, like acrylics, but that's not the case. They were a significant investment, though, so I need to find a landscape that can best utilize their characteristics and try to use them up.

  Sometimes She Just Needed To Get Away, © 2017, work in progress (click on image for larger view)

Meanwhile, I keep finding areas on this little painting that need readjustment or refining. I painted in a more accurate bluish color above the breakers line and changed the flow of the water just below it. The foaminess of the shallow water needs to be attended to; there are darker spots surrounded by lighter ones that need to be painted in. And it may be that the texture of the store-bought canvas is as much of a problem as the paint's viscosity.There's a lot of pull and drag, and I'm having trouble trying to paint hard edges.

I also reworked the sand. It looks more cohesive now.

No comments:

Post a Comment