Tuesday, December 5, 2017

Painting And Planning

It was good to get back to painting today, and I got a lot done, starting with the little ocean painting:

  Sometimes She Just Needed To Get Away, © 2017, work in progress (click on image for larger view)

I added some shady spots on the beach sand, and mixed some blue into the color to reflect the sky. But now, despite the fact that there's a lot of those little ripply areas in the original photo, I wonder if I took it too far. Tightened up the detail on the figure as well. I am finding the water-based oil paint, which I'm using on this painting, to be annoyingly thick. And I'd like to do a larger version on panel— the texture of the canvas, as you can see in the painting, is also annoying.


  Study After A Maid Asleep, (Johannes Vermeer), work in progress (click on image for larger view)

 The bodice looks better; it's a lovely bronze satin in the original, and I'm trying to get it right. The tablecloth is tough, and is going to take some time. Meanwhile, I found some photos I took of the original painting in the Met several years ago, and those will help. Working from a pic on the web isn't necessarily accurate as far as color goes.

I worked on two of the America series paintings:

  Ieva, © 2017, (America series) work in progress (click on image for larger view)

Again, this looks nothing like her. Yet.

And:

José, © 2017, (America series) work in progress (click on image for larger view)

I took inventory of all the yet-to-be-painted canvases and panels lying around and am trying to assign images to them. Looks like 2018 is going to be chock-full of painting.

No comments:

Post a Comment