Monday, December 18, 2017

The Tricky Turquoise Tunic

What the America series needs is a shot of color, and this tunic fits the bill. I'm trying different hues in an effort to get it right though; it's a light, saturated turquoise. I've tried a number of pigments— everything from Phthalo Turquoise to Sennelier's Azure Blue to Holbein's Blue Grey mixed with various yellows. So far, nothing has worked until this morning when I tried Winsor & Newton's Manganese Blue with Holbein's Lemon Yellow Light. Manganese is a vivid, intense, deep Caribbean Sea blue, sometimes overwhelming the palette, best used sparingly. But this is all shop talk. Here's where the Ieva piece stands at the moment:

Ieva, America series, © 2017, work in progress (click on image for larger view)

The tunic's made of linen, so that makes it fun to paint. There are attendant problems: a slight transparency, a stiffer drape than most garments, and a tendency to wrinkle. And of course it has a lightweight, gauzy quality. I think what I've got so far still needs to go lighter and a bit more toward the green side of turquoise.

No comments:

Post a Comment