Saturday, June 8, 2019

Adding A Spoon

There was an empty area in this painting that was just begging for some sort of design element. I toyed with the idea of putting a highlight on the wooden table surface, but then it occurred to me that I could use a spoon from the same photo session. This is a good reminder to shoot lots of photos from different angles.

I found a suitable spoon, though the angle was incorrect; reversed the angle and cloned it in to the reference photo, then drew it in with a brush.

Hot Fudge Sundae I, Guilty Pleasures Series, © 2019, work in progress (click on image for larger view)

The artist friend I was having lunch with when I took the photo for the painting below suggested I remove the spoon. "The spoon's the best part!" I said. Well, maybe not the *best,* but certainly the spoons are adding to the composition and bringing some interest; the one below reflects the greenhouse-type ceiling of the dining room we were in, complete with clouds and pigeons. The casual observer will miss these little details, but they're there for the discerning.

Crème Brûlée, Guilty Pleasures Series, © 2019, work in progress (click on image for larger view)

There is a tiny image of me holding the camera in one of the spoons. I'm not that enamored of my own image, but I think it adds a little humor to the piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment