Friday, January 3, 2020

Retouching, and Knowing When To Quit

About a month ago, a treasured patron called to ask if he could bring over one of my paintings he'd bought several years ago. It had some questionable splatters on it; we deduced that they were probably food-based, mostly because of their stickiness and the painting's proximity to his kitchen. I've been working on removing them as best as I could over the holidays, and finally had to take some very fine sandpaper to the stubborn parts, but today I did the actual touch-up.

Through some miracle of organization, I'd written down the paint recipe for the green wall ten years ago, and by changing the proportions of the pigments was able to repaint the jeans, too (which had the worst of the sticky goo on them).

Now I have to see if the wet paint dries down to the correct color.

Point Of View (The Villers), © 2010 (click on image for larger view)

Meanwhile: more work on the architectural details. It was a very frustrating working session, as the brush I was using was uncooperative. The bristles were too soft, and wouldn't hold a line. Stopped after a while before I made any major errors.

L'Auberge Provençale, © 2020, work in progress (click on image for larger view)

No comments:

Post a Comment