Tuesday, February 4, 2020

A Painting Evolves

The last time I let a painting have a life of its own, as the saying goes, it ended up being a disaster. It was an abstract, and I really have no business wading into abstract territory; there are plenty of talented folks who know what they're doing in that milieu, but I am not one of them.

Anyway, about 15 years ago I fell in love with a little landscape image in an art magazine, and kept the page on file. My recent discovery of Tonalism brought me back to the little painting,  "Snowy Pines At Dusk," by Charles Warren Eaton. I'm using it as inspiration for this little canvas, but already realize that the boughs are too green. Still; the painting is evolving as I go, since I have no preconceived idea about the composition. We'll see what happens.

After Eaton, © 2020, work in progress (click on image for larger view)

No comments:

Post a Comment