Tuesday, January 4, 2022

Minimal Painting, Studying, and A Great Big Mess

 I thought I had come up with a good idea this morning when I used a sharp graphite point and a ruler to pencil in the very straight lines of the wall paintings in this one; I then went back with a tiny tiny brush and tried my best to paint up to the edges of the pencil lines. I thought it worked well until just now, seeing the results in a photo. Apparently the top edge of the painting on the right is slanted. Sigh.

                           Still Untitled Museum Piece, © 2022, work in progress (click on image for larger view)        

I did add the cigarette (can one smoke in a museum?) and a few other minor details. Tomorrow is another day. 

Meanwhile: I've been studying in my spare time, looking at the websites of painters I admire, going through notes from the internet and classes and workshops I've taken, plus I plan to watch a video series I bought a couple of years ago. All of this pertains to the human form.

Some printouts:

And, I'm trying as hard as I can to get this painting right; the color in the original photo is so vibrant as to be unbelievable, so I'm toning it back a bit, but still! You can see how in-your-face it is. I've been scrubbing away excess paint and blending with a cotton rag here and there. And all the while trying to get a sense of structure. The right side is largely unworked for now.



                           New Sky Series #4, © 2022, work in progress (click on image for larger view)       


No comments:

Post a Comment