Wednesday, January 5, 2022

Some Limited Success

 At last, I'm beginning to see the resemblance to the actual person in this one. I spent a lot of time working on faces today; not just on Straight Ahead, but also on a long-put-away painting just below it. All of the reading and observing and studying might be helping, or maybe I'm just being extra careful and working more slowly.

                        Straight Ahead,  © 2022, work in progress (click on image for larger view)   

What bugs me in the reading and video watching is how differently artists approach skin tones. One will tell you to start with the darks, and make minor adjustments towards warmer/cooler, lighter/darker, along the way. Another will tell you to start with the midtones. And yet another will suggest you work on one small area and build up the form there before moving on to adjacent planes. So I'm trying to fumble along in my own way, seeing what works best for me.


                        The Chair © 2022, work in progress (click on image for larger view)       

           I promise you that The Chair doesn't look as ragged in real life as it does in this phot, which is catching the light in a way that emphasizes the brush strokes.

No comments:

Post a Comment