Tuesday, January 9, 2024

On A Roll

Following yesterday's disastrous painting session, I am happy to report that things are going well today. And even the pieces I worked on yesterday look fine in today's damp, grey light.

 I've just finished Eric F, and have resurrected a piece that I love but have been having trouble with, see below.

                                                              Eric F,  America Series (click on image for larger view)


 The painting is called, "Baby Needs Shoes, " and the problem arose with the heavily patterned rug, which seduced me into using thick, raised strokes. I've sanded it down but there's still some texture; I might end up using it in the long run, but am mulling it over now.

The other problem was with the rug color: once I abandoned the busy pattern, what to replace it with? I pulled out my ancient set of Color-Aid paper (over a hundred casein-coated papers, VERY EXPENSIVE back in art school days, and which I keep telling myself I'm going to make use of).

 I went through the stack yesterday, holding the colored sheets against the figure, and after much deliberation decided to go with an off-white, a nice blue-green, and a sort of Robin's Egg blue (see at right). I mixed some color today and while it still needs a little tweaking (adding some cadmium red to the blue-green to both tone it down and also relate it to the dress) I am satisfied that it's now going in the right direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment