Friday, August 17, 2018

One Down. Five To Go.

Finished, just a little while ago:

Three Women At The Corcoran, © 2018 (click on image for larger view)
 
Meanwhile, I'm freaking out about the painting below. Here's how things work: I fall in love with a moment, with a scene, whatever. I take a photo of it. Then I try to fix it on canvas or panel so it can be a shared experience; but the operative word here is love. Even the act of painting has elements of care to it: attention to detail in both planning and execution, stroking on the paint in as careful a way as possible to communicate the basic idea, fixing areas that aren't working correctly, etc. 

I've received input from at least three different sources (all of whom I trust) on the painting, and now I'm just more confused than ever before. Should the window scene be toned back with atmospheric perspective, or should it feature the golden light of sunset? How dark should the back wall be? I feel like I'm getting away from that initial rush of falling in love with the image, and now I've lost my way.

For Rent, © 2018, work in progress (click on image for larger view)


No comments:

Post a Comment