Friday, April 12, 2019

I Don't Know If This Was A Good Idea

So I've been looking at this painting from a distance down the hall, and the first thing that has been coming to mind when I look at it is that the central figure's face should really be the highlight of the painting. I figured her skin tone needed to be lighter to draw the eye to that spot and make it stand out against the background. Okay; the other thing, though, was that when I look at the thumbnail of the reference photo, it has this lovely warm orange-y cast to the ceiling area.

Selfies, © 2019, work in progress (click on image for larger view)

I decided to put a wash of thinned-out Cad Orange across the upper left-to-center area on the ceiling; this required some courage, but I was convinced it was going to be wonderful. After a few minutes I wiped it back. Now I'm debating whether it was better the old way— but when I look at the previous version, that area seems visually cluttered to me.

I guess I'll have to live with it for a few days. I can always paint it back, thank heaven; that's why I work in oil paint!

No comments:

Post a Comment