Tuesday, June 16, 2020

A Summer Of Learning And Experimentation

I'm signed up for a Zoom course in painting with a regional artist who seems to know his way around paint, so that's exciting, and I hope to learn a lot from it. Also, have been trying to emulate the way other artists whose use of color and brushwork and glazing I admire. Some things are going well, others... well, let's just say they need some serious problem-solving.

Here's the little postcard painting with the sky painted in a wet-into-wet method:

Queens Cove, Postcards Series #14, © 2020, work in progress (click on image for larger view)
 
I spent a long time staring at this next one today. I didn't like the way it looked in pink and blue; it was too saccharine. The dark shadows I painted in today are too dark, though, and now it's chaotic. I can't seem to align the paint with my vision of how this one should look.
 
Light And Shadow, © 2020, work in progress (click on image for larger view)
 
And then there's this one: the color is way off here; the top third is actually a light turquoise. It's just supposed to be a recreational piece, and I'm thinking of using a palette knife instead of a brush on successive layers.
 
Bright Sky, © 2020, work in progress (click on image for larger view)
 
We've had extraordinary weather for the last two days, which accounts for my lack of easel time. I've gotten so much done in the garden, despite my gimpy (but healing) knee. And through some miracle, the mosquito population is was down this year, in spite of a very wet spring. Now the weather forecast is for rain, rain, thunderstorms, and then more rain for the next 5 days, so I should be doing lots more painting.
 



No comments:

Post a Comment