Wednesday, July 3, 2019

Dots, Dessert, and A Political Aside

I'm aware of the fact that this blog, like many others, is being viewed in countries around the world. And the news that's been coming out of the U.S. for the better part of the last two years has not been good. Bullying, lies, and cruelty seem to now be acceptable in some quarters of the American public. But it is only a small segment of the population, not the rest of us who believe in equality, who teach our kids the difference between right and wrong, who work for the greater good, and honor decency and truthfulness as the foundations of a great society.

When I work on the dessert series, I fear that people will think it's just another indicator of a country's shallow self-indulgence. It is not that; it will have a twist to it when it's completed and mounted in a gallery.

On that note, here is this morning's addition to the series; the chocolate layer cake that my friend ordered to aid my little series, last Friday night after we saw the Emma Thompson movie:

Six Layer Indulgence, Guilty Pleasures Series, © 2019, work in progress (click on image for larger view)

Earlier I had dabbed my palette with reds, white, and black, and set about painting a couple of hundred tiny "berry" dots in the background of the window display. It got very tiring, very quickly, but I kept at it as long as I could. Then I did a bit of work on the woman's coat, then moved to the left putting details on the mannequins' shoes and simultaneously smearing the black paint from the coat onto the building facade. I will never learn. Paint from LEFT to RIGHT.

The Gauntlet, © 2019, work in progress (click on image for larger view)
 
The little dots do liven up the background, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment